Re: Windows Platform Crashing

  • Subject: Re: Windows Platform Crashing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 16:09:49 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Bobbie ] on Saturday 13 May 2006 09:46 \__

> While performing an interpretive dance to Enya's Carribean Blue, NoNamer
> exclaimed:
>
>> Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
>>> What do you know - a Windows platform crashing.  :)

I can see the blue... and I bet there was death, too.

>>> http://www.bestofgooglevideo.com/video.php?video=301
>>
>> Definitely something you don't see often or at all today.

It would be far less amusing if someone dies in this incident. When I was in
Miami, a crane collapsed and a man (or two) plummetted to his death at the
City Centre (Downtown Miami). It wasn't funny at all...

>> Did you know there were two people in that while that was happening?

I wonder if it's related. I haven't read the caption or comments.

>> Scary stuff.
>
> Seven years ago I was doing my practicum for a building maintenace course
> at the Royal Centre in Vancouver. The window washers were doing the east
> face of the building when  the controller got dropped over the side
> of the platform and smashed when it hit the side of the building. Desmond
> the on staff electrician and I responded to the roof to see if there was
> anything we could do. This particular swingstage is hung from a pair of
> davit like trucks that move around the perimeter of the roof on a pair of
> tubular tracks. The outside tube is located within a foot of the edge of
> the roof. The edge of the roof is nothing more than a 4" wide cap
> flashing that rises no more than 3" off the roof deck. After reading the
> schematics in one of the davits Desmond came to the conclusion that the
> electrics of both davits would have to be manually operated
> simultaneously. So after a few practice runs and as the wind was beginning
> to pick up we went for it. The task comprised of manually pushing in the
> main 600 volt contactor and the contactor to operate the hoisting motor in
> the down direction. We got the platform down without a hitch. Two very
> relived window washers and their company thanked us. It didn't sink in for
> me until afternoon coffee that we were working at a height of 460 feet up
> from street level. And even though we were tied off it still sent shivers
> down my spine for a couple weeks after that.
>
> How those guys can work on one of those platforms just boggles my mind.
>
> Even to this day when I walk past Royal Centre I can't stop thinking of
>  kneeling beside the edge of the roof and peering over the edge.

I always wonder how window cleaners can stablise themselves on these high
ladders with little or no worries. I guess mundane routine take the fear
away.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    X-No-Archive: No. Stand behind what you say
  4:05pm  up 15 days 23:02,  12 users,  load average: 0.76, 0.52, 0.48