Re: Comcast On Demand problems

__/ [ Cyberwasteland ] on Sunday 14 May 2006 03:19 \__

> So, for the past several weeks, we've been noticing our Comcast Cable
> Television OnDemand service is crippled. We'll put on a show for the
> kids, such as Jay Jay Jet Plane, Fireman Sam, or SongeBob Squarepants
> and the video breaks up, blacks out, and stalls every few seconds -
> we've been reverting to our stash of kid's DVDs.
>
> It wasn't such a big deal until it started to happen during my wife's
> shows - particularly those regarding workouts and travel. She's become
> so frustrated that she wants to scrap Comcast altogether.
>
> I called Comcast and all they would say is that they're looking into
> it.
>
> Then, in today's mail, we received "exciting new news" about our
> Comcast service - - "now with 'Microsoft Enhanced Software!'"
                                           ^^^^^^^^

What does "enhanced" means? Like McAfee Security Center?

> That pretty much explains everything. Thanks again, Microsoft, for
> fucking up something that *was* working perfectly fine.

They crippled our SAN and ground much of the Division to a halt for about a
year. Since the migration (motivated by disappointments) to Linux , not even
a quirk.

> We'll be looking into getting a dish - I doubt they use any Microsoft
> software since their service seems pretty reliable.

I am not sure they would be using Linux, but whatever POSIX-complaint
platform they choose, it will be more mature, predictable, and stable. It
will sometimes lack that XP lipstick as a final finish, or as we saw in the
case GoDaddy, some opportunity for generous 'bribes'.

In fact, I betcha that the part where you said

,----[ Quote ]
| Then, in today's mail, we received "exciting new news" about our
| Comcast service - - "now with 'Microsoft Enhanced Software!'"
`----

The *promotional* nature of this announcement should give you a hint...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
  3:40am  up 16 days 10:37,  11 users,  load average: 1.22, 0.87, 0.77