Re: Multi-stream files on Linux?

  • Subject: Re: Multi-stream files on Linux?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 06:56:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Lee Sau Dan ] on Sunday 14 May 2006 04:11 \__

>     Mark> Hi all, I was looking around for multistream file info on
>     Mark> Linux.  I was a little surprised that I couldn't really find
>     Mark> any information. Are multi-stream files on Linux dead? Being
>     Mark> worked on quietly somewhere?
>
> Why would you need that?  What's wrong with creating a couple of files
> like  foobar.txt.stream01,   foobar.txt.stream02,  etc.?   I  consider
> multi-stream files as a useless complication.
>

>     Mark> I'd love to see this promoted for Linux and *nix.
>     Mark> Multi-stream files and an improved security model would help
>     Mark> end consumers greatly, I think.
>
> Why  is that  an  improved  security model?   What  does the  multiple
> streams have to do with security?   You mean ACLs?  Linux has got them
> for some time.
>
> Actually, I  think multi-stream  files are a  bad thing  for security.
> There  are now  so many  streams  per file,  and one  can easily  hide
> something in a secret stream without being noticed so easily.

If you read the original post, you will see that no correlation is
made between multi-steam files and security.  You points are  very
well delivered, nonetheless.

To OP: why "improved security"?  Are you aware of security flaws &
a misjudged security model in Linux? Or was it just a  spontaneous
remark?

Best wishes,