Re: Linux to Inherit Virtualization

  • Subject: Re: Linux to Inherit Virtualization
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 09:40:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • References: <4194941.hroAWjH4bu@schestowitz.com> <1147237208.294559.200070@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> <xWe8g.67298$Jk3.29478@bignews5.bellsouth.net> <Hqv8g.2694$u4.1365@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net> <Voz8g.27359$QU3.18803@bignews8.bellsouth.net> <_padnWkpfICCv_7ZnZ2dnUVZ_uqdnZ2d@comcast.com> <RcU8g.44741$MM6.40721@bignews3.bellsouth.net> <1147453633.338351.77230@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> <1610191.XMDkuCor5l@schestowitz.com> <9t5jj3-ndt.ln1@ellandroad.demon.co.uk>
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 14 May 2006 09:21 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Friday 12 May 2006 18:07 \__

>>> I would love to know who you really are.  It's fine that you feel that
>>> all Microsoft programs are great, and if that's the way you feel, you
>>> should keep on using them.  There are some Microsoft programs which I
>>> also very much like, especially MS-Project.  But I have a very
>>> different point of view from yours.
>>

>> At this stage, having read your message in its entirety, I cannot justify
>> your use of prose to please the person whom you reply to. One thing is a
>> sure fact: your posts beg for their attention. It implies that factual
>> information gets on their nerves and sparks that inner-conflict symptom.
>>

>>> I have worked for a number of these very large companies, sometimes as
>>> an employee, sometimes as a consultant.
>>>
>>> In most cases, one of the things they find incredibly frustrating is
>>> the necessity to spend huge amounts of money, which usually involves
>>> layoffs of as much as 20% of the staff, to cover the expense - to
>>> merely purchase upgrades of Microsoft's software - simply because
>>> Microsoft wants more money.
>>

>> Somewhat of a contradiction might exist here. You see, GNU/Linux requires
>> less human intervention once it is up and running. Therefore, in practice,
>> it requires fewer members of staff who are IT-proficient. In turn, this
>> could lead greedy enterprises to use it for accumulation of profit (/a la/
>> Allchin, Gates, Ballmer), at management-level. On the other hand, in turn,
>> this could lead to /extension/, e.g. new branch opens which accommodates
>> something other than 'box booters', as you once referred to them
>>

> I've been making this point for years on various projects in my employer
> - there are two gains to be had from every improvement in productivity,
>   and the employer usually can take some of each.  On the one hand,
>   there are direct cost savings from avoiding the use of vendor-locked
>   technology, in that support contracts, downstream functionality
>   changes, and so on, can be done at a real market rate rather than at a
>   locked-in rate.  The second is around manpower savings - as you say,
>   moving to next generation technologies like Linux invariably reduces
>   the manpower requirement when compared with the legacy, currently
>   Windows.  That manpower saving can be used in two different ways,
>   either, if the company needs to, to reduce paybill, or, if the company
>   wishes, to cover more jobs per person by expansion.

Yes, exactly. To remain brief, I will simply testify that everything was
slower and less effective when I clang on that burden which was legacy -- a
Windows 98 laptop. It was my last Microsoft-affiliated asset. Did more harm
(hindrance) than good. 165 pounds on a new Linux box and so long inability
to interoperate.

>   From a hardware vendor's viewpoint, this is a good thing, in that the
>   cost/box is significantly reduced, so that companies can easily
>   justify having far more boxes than they have now, so again, the next
>   generation linux is good for the hardware vendors when compared with
>   legacy Windows.

Probably, but let us not neglect power consumption (high for legacy). That
said, a single Linux server can manage the load which requires multiple
Windows boxes.

The Microsoft path: IT budget goes to Microsoft (licensing), people paid to
boot or recover boxes.

The GNU/Linux path: No licensing cost, *more* people paid *more* to engage in
activity which is more mind-stimulating and leads to /advancement/ (e.g.
programming).

Best wishes,

Foo bar
  9:30am  up 16 days 16:27,  11 users,  load average: 0.59, 0.48, 0.48