Re: [Op/Ed] 12 Reasons for Microsoft Demise

__/ [ William Poaster ] on Monday 15 May 2006 00:42 \__

> On Mon, 15 May 2006 01:19:28 +0200, Roy Culley wrote:
>
>> begin  risky.vbs
>> <pan.2006.05.14.22.59.05.565739@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, William Poaster
>> <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Inspiration for that post you published later on? *wink*

>>> A little old, but this more or less says the same:- "The structural
>>> failure of Windows"
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15305

Thanks for that.

>> An interesting article and it does raise the point of the registry being
>> an awful solution to the ini file 'mess'. Personally I thought the ini
>> files a simple readable solution for application developers and users.
>> It's worked for years on *nix and does so to this very day.

Yes, I thought about it a couple of days ago. The move to a tree-structured
database broke the integrity of the filesystem as a simple reflectant upon
_state_. It has become obscure and I wonder how it affect compatibility with
other platforms, as well.

>> The registry is a single point of failure that no sensible OS designer
>> would ever consider.
>>
>> Registry aside, Windows is fundamentally insecure because open == exec and
>> file executable status is determined by filename extension. This is just
>> so braindead and is why Windows is so easily exploited.
>
> Furthermore, there are at *least* 45 executable file extensions in
> Windows. That's just crazy IMHO.

The idea of extensions, as well as limit on filename size, is truly legacy,
not novelty. I am surprised that Micros~1 have stuck with that opaque method
for managing types and keeping things manageable. What a sordid mess! This
convention has affected and swept along some other platforms.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
 10:15am  up 17 days 17:12,  8 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.30, 0.49