Re: Packman in SuSE 10.1 (was: She is Out!)

__/ [ Clarence Hickman ] on Monday 15 May 2006 13:55 \__

>> Pirate speak? But he's in the process of migrating fully to Linux?
>> Thus, he /ceases/ to be a pirate. *wink*
>

> Why wouldn't Novell include the Packman goodies ?

The same reasons as those of Red Hat, if I recall correctly (to the exclusion
of some others). Being corporate bodies (think IBM-SCO), they are a good
target for intellectual property lawsuits, which Ballmer intends to use as
weapons of war (if not just pure FUD). Delegating 'RPM responsibilities' to
third, independent parties rids them for liability, to a certain extent.

Maybe I should start packing up some RPM's and disturbing them. Maybe I'll
get sued and have my chance to bitch-slap Mr. Ballmer, who encourages the
use of proprietary formats as well as DRM, which he very well knows is an
aliment to Open Source. Dirty rivalry _must end_.

[end rant /]

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  2:10pm  up 17 days 21:07,  8 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.16, 0.27