Re: I am new to this Computer and Internet thing and need help

  • Subject: Re: I am new to this Computer and Internet thing and need help
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 15:13:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ harold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 15 May 2006 14:25 \__

> Hello,
>
> I am new to this Internet experience and am developing a web site,
> www.haroldsays.com. I have created the site to offer helps to people,
> scam alerts, Rants and Raves (tell the world what is good and what
> sucks). So, you good folks think that one platform or operating system
> is better than another...one system is better than another...Linux or
> Windows. I am a basic KISS (keep it simple stupid-me being the more
> stupid one) so any information you provide, keep it simple. What is the
> best operating system to use for web site development and for operating
> on my computer? Any software that is good vs any that sucks? I would
> like to learn so, any help or insight you can offer will be
> appreciated. I will be glad to share my insight with you if you have
> any questions in areas I am knowledgeable.
>
> Thanks in advance for responding.
>
> Warmest regards,
>
> Harold Cameron
> Chief of Helping People
> haroldsays.com

Clearly, (yet perhaps unknowingly), you have chosen a hosting package that
will offer you poor stability and bad value in return for your money,
feature- and power-wise. Your site is being hosted by a Windows machine
rather than use the Open Source Apache, preferably on Linux. the generator
that you use for your site content ( <meta name="Generator"
content="NetObjects Fusion 8 for Windows"> ) may be fine, but there are
newer paradigms for creating content. I suggest you read about CMS. The
following are both free and Open Source. Have a look at, e.g.:

        * http://phpnuke.org/

        * http://drupal.org/

        * http://plone.org/

        * http://wordpress.org/

        * http://www.mamboserver.com/

You can migrate your content from the exiting framework onto such content
management systems that run atop Apache. Do it while the site is young. The
sooner the migration, the less work it will entail. In the long run, as well
as the short, there is plenty to be gained. If you are not convinced and
need further pointer, just holler.

Hope it helps,

Roy

PS - since Web sites are in question, I will warn you in advance that a
person whose name starts with an "E" might preach to you for self-serving
interests. You will be better off ignoring his advice, which is intended to
protect his career and get him a payola from some executives.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Download Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  3:00pm  up 17 days 21:57,  8 users,  load average: 0.46, 0.19, 0.14