Re: My (very brief) Love Affair with SuSE 10.1

On Sat, 20 May 2006 18:25:50 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ M ] on Saturday 20 May 2006 18:22 \__
>
>> William Poaster wrote:
>>
>>> It was on Fri, 19 May 2006 09:07:32 +0100 when Roy Schestowitz posted
>>> this:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> They've replaced Susewatcher with Zenupdater & 'rug', which seems to be
>>> the way Novell are now going, instead of using YaST (Personally I
>>> preferred YaST). According to the mailing lists (opensuse.devel) there
>>> do appear to be online update problems with this system ATM, zmd
>>> libzypp, & I've found adding a new source can be slow. Zen asks for
>>> signatures, pgpkeys etc, which isn't a bad thing, & will probably be
>>> fine once it's had a "shakedown voyage" of a month or so. I know the
>>> guys are working on it! :-)
>>>

>> I have never yet installed Susse so to date I have *no* first hand
>> experience of it, however I did happen to come across this:
>>
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1035592#post1035592
>>
>> <quote>
>> As most, I was a bit anticipated with RPM mechanism it self. It is a bit
>> fragile compared to debian's. So my problem was about Yast. Many people
>> in Suse community are unhappy about Yast. Instead they offer alternative
>> solutions like apt or smart. I personally found Yast very slow and
>> buggy. Synaptic is like a breeze compared to it. So you see, default
>> built in package manager is crap in Suse. Also repositories are a bit
>> problem. Some packages at some mirrors are broken. And you have to deal
>> with directory names for adding new repositories. Even manually dealing
>> with source file in ubuntu is much better Thirdly, Novel is less
>> responsive than ubuntu in adding most recent packages.
>> </quote>
>>
>> So for those of you with *first* hand experience what do you make of
>> this?
>>
>> He seems to suggest that he is not alone in his feelings. Interesting
>> how for a lot of people, Synaptic does seem to keep coming out on top.
>
> In SuSE 10.1 (or SUSE, as Novell try to rename it), YaST has become
> secondary. I can't recall the name of the other package manager, neither
> can I recall if I read this in the mailing lists or the newsgroups. Either
> way, YaST appears to be a victim of neglect (it will continue to work
> nonetheless).

Zen.  Though I have SMART configured to do package installation, &
updating. It will use YUM, APT & SUSE YaST2 repositories. It works in a
similar way to APT.
http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Smart

> PS - I loved Synaptic every time I used it. I can't say the same about
> YOU and YaST2 package management. Warnings, dependencies and CD's
> required. That said, I tried installing new software on an old
> distribution with a 2.4.x kernel.
>
> PSS - William, KDE 3.5.2 is no longer in its testing phase. I was wrong
> and someone corrected me this morning, having spotted another strange
> bug.

3.5.2 was out of "testing phase" for SUSE 10.0 last October, & was
released the same month IIRC. I've been running it on 10.0 since November
2005. I upgraded 10.1 (on this machine) to KDE 3.5.2 last week.

--
www.jlaforums.com steals usenet newsgroup posts, & misleads the public
into thinking the posts come from their own forums. THEY DON'T!