Re: Knoppix/Knode On Compaq Laptop

  • Subject: Re: Knoppix/Knode On Compaq Laptop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 12:24:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: news.software.readers
__/ [ Blinky the Shark ] on Saturday 20 May 2006 08:57 \__

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 May 2006 19:06:26 -0400, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>
>>> Speaking of testing, as I've been doing with Dialog <g>...I'm
>>> just popping in from my new Compaq notebook, with Knode and
>>> Knoppix to say hi and wOOt on the live Linux CD.  Slick!
>>> Knoppix picked up my buddy's LAN (I'm at his place) without me
>>> touching a darned thing; didn't even ask me about anything --
>>> it Just Worked.  But it doesn't see the wireless;

Kernel panic? You should panic not. Search UseNet for posts on that topic.
There are many simple solutions.

>>> it just sees
>>> the hard wire.  But still, half the time XP doesn't see the
>>> wireless, either. :)  Anyway, Knode's the only news client I
>>> found in Programs/Internet (KDE, which I do prefer), but one
>>> advantage of having six or so clients is that I'm comfortable
>>> with all of them when a something like this comes up.  :)
>>> If/when I were to use this consistently, the real install would
>>> include slrn.

One can better judge by using a variety and drawing comparisons. Until
recently, after 2+ years with KNode (and over 10,000 posts) I realised that
its old version even incorporated a plonk-like mechanism, much like I hear
Pan has got. I keep learning how to use KNode better and I strongly
recommend it. The function is almost infinite, but not always intuitive to
use. OE is best bar none, but I don't have Windows (yes, I'm joking).

>> I'm not sure if there's a question in here, or you've just had
>> one too many beers, but I'll offer this: I use Dialog running

He could have swallowed and digested an old fishman that had been drainking
heavily. The site explains that better, I presume...

> I don't see one either; but then I stated the purpose of the
> message pretty specifically, mmmmm?
>
>> under Wine just fine (on SuSE 10).  It's a little sluggish, and
>> the fonts need a lot of fiddling, but worth it.

>From beer to Wine, huh?

> That's something I've never tried.  Windows stuff with wine (or
> another nonemulator) on Linux.  With all the Linux software out
> there, I've never felt a need.
>
>> Otherwise I use knode.  Knode is really pretty good newsreader,
>> IMO.  But it was even more sluggish than Dialog.  I only have a
>> 700mhz with regular IDE.

Reduce the amount of effects in KDE. Everything can be tweaked to suit your
specs slightly better.

> Linuxwise, I'd rank it third behind slrn and Pan of the clients I
> know.
>
> Dunno what you *are* using; you seem to be hiding your User-Agent
> (or similar) header.

There is an option in KNode (tick box) for hiding that header, too.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
 12:15pm  up 22 days 19:12,  11 users,  load average: 0.46, 0.75, 0.73