Re: Good News from the LUG

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> This comes from one who has been with Linux since day one, so he should
> know.
>
> Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 20:03:27 +0100 (BST) [19 May 2006 20:03:27 BST]
> From: Ted.Harding@[snip]
> To: linux-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, main@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [linux-users] Good news from MS!!
>
> Hi Folks,
>
>   "Microsoft has released 'minimum' and 'recommended'
>    specifications for Vista.
>
>    The minimum means that the operating system will run
>    but some new features will be disabled. Recommended
>    means that this is what is needed to get the most basic
>    configuration of the whole package working.
>
>    VISTA HARDWARE CHECKLIST
>                             Minimum           Recommended
>    Processor                800MHz            1GHz 32 or 64 bit
>    System Memory            512MB             1GB
>    Graphics card            DirectX 9 capable Runs Windows Aero
>    Graphics Memory          - -               128MB
>    Free space on Hard Drive 15GB              15GB
>
>    Source: Microsoft"
>

> Well, that's good news! If Vista catches on, there should be
> a good bit of decent kit coming cheap onto the secondhand market
> that would run Linux very nicely. Looking forward to that!

My three year old machine is golden already having upgraded my RAM a couple
of months ago.  One thing I noticed when Windows 95 came out was how much
cheaper RAM suddenly became when it became suddenly necessary to have a lot
more of it.  I hope the same becomes true of performance graphics cards
which are and have always been somewhat expensive due to their niche gaming
market.  I wonder if the next Microsoft OS should there ever be one will
end up requiring a physics processor?
--
Stephen Fairchild