Re: Fatal Alert Loop on Palm Vx!

  • Subject: Re: Fatal Alert Loop on Palm Vx!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 17:33:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
__/ [ Paul Nevai ] on Friday 19 May 2006 15:20 \__

> NBK <no@xxxxxxxx> aszonygya:
> :Paul Nevai wrote:
> :> NBK <no@xxxxxxxx> aszonygya:
> :> :Hi
> :> :
> :> :*Windows XP SP2
> :> :*Palm Desktop 4.1.4
> :> :*Palm Vx
> :> :*
> :> :
> :> :My Palm Tungsten E died, so i decided to use my old trusty Palm Vx.
> :> :When i try to load [hotsync] my info on to the Vx, I get the following
> :> :error message:
> :> :
> :> :Fatal Alert
> :> :SystemMgr.c, Line:154,Unimplemented

I have come across it before, in one context or another in the newsgroups. As
suggested already, search on the Web and try searching UseNet as well. Use
the error as your search phrase.

> :> :The error message prompts me to reset constantly.
> :> :
> :> :I have tried to a hard reset and a soft reset to no avail. I have no
> :> :idea of what to do next.
> :>
> :> Do you get this immediately after the hard reset [which is probably
> :> impossible], or after the 1st HotSync [which means that you put an OS5
> :> thingie back to your Vx]?
> :>
> :> /PaulN
> :
> :Hi PaulN,
> :
> :When i do a 'hard' reset wiping the Palm Vx out and restoring it factory
> :default, everything is fine.  The error message appears during a hotsync
> :of old data.
>
> So get rid of the OS 5 specific stuff on your DeskTop comnputer [move them
> to a safe place] before your first HotSync. This is easy if you are an
> expert
> but otherwise it might be quite complicated.  My advice would be to do some
> learning via the web, Google each application/hack you have, and talk to
> the developers. Good luck, PaulN

One thing worth trying is exporting the data from the Palm Desktop where O/S
5 was used and then import it into an older version before synchronisation.
See what happens...

Hope it helps,

Roy

PS - I have not seen you around the newsgroups for ages, Paul. Good to see
you around nonetheless.