Re: US Military Blocks Access to Open Source Sites

  • Subject: Re: US Military Blocks Access to Open Source Sites
  • From: Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 14:01:16 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Larry Qualig wrote:
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

US military is blocking Slashdot and SourceForge.net

,----[ Quote ]
| I was told recently that Air Force bases in the San Antonio, Texas, area
| are blocking one or more of our sister OSTG sites, like SourceForge.net,
| Slashdot.org, or Freshmeat.net...
|
| The bottom line, courtesy of Air Force spokesperson Captain David W.
| Small, is that the Air Force does "block Web sites to restrict use of
| the Web to official business and in accordance with specific guidance
| in AFIs."
`----

http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/17/2040239&from=rss

From your own quote:

"...the Air Force does "block Web sites to restrict use of the Web to official business and in accordance with specific guidance in AFIs.""

Note the "official business" part. It's their network and they can do
whatever they want with it. The employees are free to surf whatever
web-sites they want on their own time and using their own network
connections.

nothing wrong in that. The military is there to do a job. They should only have access to the tools required to do that job, and nothing more to cause a distraction of any kind. THEY make mistakes because they weren't watching what the fuck they were doing, and people DIE. The same is true of a school; any school which caters to minors should (logically) have filtering software in place to block certain content which may be deemed unsuitable for their consumption. I'm talking the horsey porn, that sort of thing. The Chinese government, for another instance, are taking it to the next level by using filters at the ISPs (or trunking through Government networks, I don't know how it's done) to block certain Western sites from their viewing Public. For no other reason than to protect them from the truth; that being that life can be better, it just takes the right kind of voice to make it happen. The Government don't want this to happen, they're in their comfort zone and they want to maintain the status quo any way they can.

--
When all else fails...
Use a hammer.

http://dotware.co.uk