Re: IBM gives Microsoft angst with Lotus Notes Office

  • Subject: Re: IBM gives Microsoft angst with Lotus Notes Office
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:15:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 18 May 2006 22:23 \__

> Quote:
> -----------------------------
> IBM has just given Microsoft another 125 million reasons to worry about
> the future of its one of its two biggest money spinners, Microsoft
> Office. Big Blue has announced that the next version of its Groupware
> suite Lotus Notes will include the three main applications of the MS
> Office suite, a word processor, a spreadsheet and a presentation
> program.
>
> What's more, IBM has stated that not only will the office productivity
> applications be compatible with Microsoft Office as well as the ISO
> standard Open Document Format (ODF), but the existing 125 million Lotus
> Notes users will be able to upgrade to the new version for free.
>
> <snip />
> ---------------------
> End Quote
>
> http://bink.nu/Article7112.bink

I  wonder  if we are yet to see Sun Microsystems going head to  head  with
IBM.  Sun have liaised with Google and Microsoft vowed to compete with IBM
directly, so this could become intersting.

There  is  plenty  of money to be won in this market which can  appeal  to
merely  any  computer  user (e.g. not servers) in the  world.  These  rich
environments definitely need some corporate backing, which is why projects
like  KOffice are somewhat of an OO.org compromise, which integrate better
into  the  desktop  environment  and offer great speed  because  they  are
native. The UI is more familiar, too.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
 11:10am  up 21 days 18:07,  10 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.43, 0.35