Re: Ballmer: Microsoft Will Meet Threats of Google, Linux - Over Time

  • Subject: Re: Ballmer: Microsoft Will Meet Threats of Google, Linux - Over Time
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:00:02 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 17 May 2006 17:06:24 +0100
<3441528.aJlzIvRL6W@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 17 May 2006 17:00 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Sun, 14 May 2006 04:24:15 +0100
>> <9501618.xlbY0Y71s0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> __/ [ 7 ] on Saturday 13 May 2006 23:03 \__

>>> There is actually a more eloquent message addressed to our beloved Mr.
>>> Ballmer:
>>>
>>> http://lobby4linux.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=107
>>
>> Hmm...
>>
>>      I am here to offer you a solution and a tangible target...a solid
>>      plan that you can actually organize, project and execute.
>>
>>      I want you to sue me.
>>
>>      Yes...me, I want you file a suit against me personally. I am the
>>      perfect defendant in your suit against Linux, and given any serious
>>      thought, I am your only tangible target. Allow me to recite briefly
>>      my qualifications as a defendant.
>>
>> The old "sacrificial pawn" ploy. :-)  The pawn gets queened later:
>>
>>      It is my immeasurable pleasure to successfully prove to them your
>>      culpability in these things beyond any doubt. Now, I suppose you
>>      have a decision to make. Your nature demands that you litigate
>>      against someone. I sincerely hope it is me. Maybe I can offer you a
>>      short but effective film clip to summarize this struggle with a
>>      technological flair.
>>
>>      You will accomplish two things if you do. You will insure the
>>      survival and ultimate success of GNU/Linux and you will
>>      inadvertently spotlight those who have worked so hard, for so many
>>      years to achieve the same goal.
>>
>>      Microsoft is not the only one with ulterior motives, Mr. Ballmer.
>>
>>      Sincerely,
>>
>>      Ken Starks  aka helios
>>      www.lobby4linux.com
>>      Austin, Texas
>>
>> *grin*
>
> Welcome back, Ghost. I hope you liked that essay, which made the rounds
> several days ago.

I was flying cross country several days ago. :-)  The essay is a little
strange but nothing too bad, and in any event Microsoft has sown a lot
of badwill over the decades its been in existence.

If they're dumb enough to sue him, my condolences. :-)

> In case you shied away from news or  even found yourself occupied  with some
> _real work_ *smile*, let me assure you that /plenty/ of wonderful things are
> showering GNU/Linux on a daily basis. The latest major milsetone is  Java to
> be Open Sources (officially states by Schwartz)  and its sidling  with Linux
> (Ubuntu in particular).

Yes, I did see that.  I'm not precisely sure what it
means yet but hopefully the infusion of Java into Open
Source will improve both.  One of the more interesting
possibilities might be called Java/GWT.  :-) Perhaps
Java/KWT as well.

I'll admit Java needs another widget set like I need another
hole in my head (it's already got three) but software is an
evolving product anyway.

We shall see.

As for the rest ... I'll be darned if I can keep up with it all.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.