Re: Overclock the Intel D805 (2.6Ghz) to 4.1Ghz!

  • Subject: Re: Overclock the Intel D805 (2.6Ghz) to 4.1Ghz!
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 01:00:03 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 11 May 2006 14:36:26 +0100
<2542763.TEuV2mF5Ju@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ linuxiac ] on Thursday 11 May 2006 14:11 \__
>
>> the biggest news in overclocking since the Celeron 300A and the AMD
>> pencil trick:
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/
>>
>> Without any added cooling, the fixed multiplier Intel Pentium D805 can
>> be pushed to 4.1Ghz!  The dual core cpu is fixed in the multiplier to
>> 20X, but, most boards can be flexed from 133 Mhz up to 200Mhz, and beyond!
>>
>> Tomshardware mentions added water cooling above 4.1 Ghz!  They are
>> pumping it to 6 Ghz!!!
>>
>> Imagine THAT with Linux, for the cost of a $130.00 chip and the cooler!
>
> Does  Linux really need /that/ much power?

Linux, no.  Some Linux applications, maybe; think hardcore gaming.

Ideally, we'd be able to overclock the GPU as well.

As it is, I question "added cooling".  A better phrasing
to my ultra-anally-pedantic turn of mind would be "without
cooling beyond those provided by standard desktop PC's"
or some such. :-)

In short, the harder one clocks a unit, the hotter it
runs, regardless; the question is whether the surrounding
environment can take out the heat.

> Overclocking puts stability  in
> jeopardy  and  stability  is  one of the many strengths  of  GNU/Linux.

Aye.

[rest snipped]

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.