Re: Multi-stream files on Linux?

  • Subject: Re: Multi-stream files on Linux?
  • From: Mark Space <markspace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:40:52 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> So make it harder for the user (to break). Protect the user from shooting
> itself in the foot. Security at the expense of ease of use has proven to be
> a trade-off that can be tackled. You can restrict users depending on level
> of experience or introduce the notion of user privileges (which Windows was
> too late to introduce, quite artificially and improperly so).

Agreed, to a point. Permissions can be tough for a user to handle effectively. A higher level "smart system" tool that makes descisions for users might be useful. And untrusted programs should be run, auto-magically, at *lower* than the user's level, because the user needs protection too, not just the system.

And I think this could be done with fewer restrictions preceived by the users than many people believe.

> What about Beagle for some data indexing? It's included in SuSE. I know it
> does not address your question directly, but also see:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7771 . You can extract meta

This is pretty cool. It's not exactly what I was thinking, but it's a neat idea in it's own right. Beagle might be a good way to integrate new meta-data into an existing file system. It could act as a high level abstraction layer for work done lower down in the file system.

Thanks for pointing that out. :)

> Pitfall: It will be lost upon data movemoment from one filesystem to another.
> I already have this problem with a storage unit that uses NTFS. I have to
> compress many files to preserve their length, case and some 'forbidden'
> characters.

If one implements multi-stream or meta-data as multiple "file forks," then this problem can occur. If one implements MS/MD as encoded onto a single stream, then this problem doesn't occur. Look at Java .jar files.

> Are you in need of one? Or are you looking to make a start one one?

A little of both. I think the open source community could benefit from a multi-stream or meta-data format. I'm looking at what's been done already before I make any plans to tackle this myself.