Re: Sun Commits to Open-Sourcing Java

After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> I suppose you are thinking about Visual Basic and all that lockin
>> malarkey?
>
> Versus Gambas and OpenOffice and MySQL and all *that* lockin OSS junk.

How is this stuff "lock-in"?  It all supports open standards, and the
user is fairly free to mix-and-match apps.

And how is this stuff "junk"?  I don't know much about Gambas (I grew up
with BASIC, but have moved on to less "DIM" languages having features
that Microsoft needed to "innovate" into its own version of "BASIC"),
but the other two apps are rather good and used by a large number of
people.

--
   /\ STOP! This post has not passed Microsoft Logo testing to verify its
  /  \      compatibility with Microsoft FUD.  Microsoft strongly recommends