Re: Change of domain name - affect on ranking

  • Subject: Re: Change of domain name - affect on ranking
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:20:53 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Borek ] on Wednesday 17 May 2006 10:17 \__

> On Wed, 17 May 2006 10:57:39 +0200, 4site <ian@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> For many years one of our websites has had a top-ranking with Google,
>> Yahoo, etc.  The site owners changed about 3 years ago and wanted to
>> substitute the original domain name with their own branded domain name,
>> whilst retaining the old site content.  Since then we have had two
>> domain names pointing to the same web space.  This is currently
>> achieved within the http.conf file.
>>
>> Rankings for the new domain name are poor, whilst the old name is still
>> at the top.  How do we reverse this and get the new domain name shown
>> where the old domain is currently listed?
>
> You should redirect old domain to the new one using 301 instead of
> displaying the same content on two addresses - assuming that's what you do
> now.

Don't hold your breath though. You will still have some problems with
unaligned bookmarks, inbound links, and the redirections themselves. I
believe that redirections always absorb some of the 'energy' (e.g.
Googlejuice) which they are intended to propagate or transfer to new
domains.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    chmod a-r *.mbox
 11:15am  up 19 days 18:12,  8 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00