Re: Calendar application problem.

  • Subject: Re: Calendar application problem.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 08:32:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
__/ [ Steve Kranz ] on Wednesday 17 May 2006 01:26 \__

> lovemary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> 5/16/06
>>
>> I'm writing about the Palm OS calendar application.
>>
>> I want to back up all the data I have in the Calendar application on to
>> a CD.
>>
>> The data's on my desktop as well as my PDA.
>>
>> I've been attempting to save the entire Palm desktop on to a CD but
>> haven't been sucessful.
>> I can't find the Palm desktop on my computer.
>>
>> Only the palm desktop shortcut which leads into the Palm One program
>> files.
>>
>> When I burned the program files and shortcut on to a CD then attempted
>> to run it on a different computer.    It wouldn't run.
>>
>> Does anyone know how can I back up my calendar application data on to a
>> CD?

Unless you have a gigantic-sized calendar, you will not need a CD. Just
upload the database (datebook.PDF if I recall correctly) to a file/Webspace
or put it on a USB drive. These are more easily re-writable and you can
automate the job so that copies are dumped at fixed intervals, leaving you
even with a stack of dated backups.

>> Thanks.
>>
>> Andy Rawlinson
>
> The palm calendar (or datebook) data should be located in a folder
> somewhere along this path:
>
> c > program files > Palm (or PalmOne) > [your device name, which is
> usually an abbreviation of your name or combination of your initials] >
> datebook (or calendar)

For competition, it will reside under Applications -> Palm on Mac OS X, if I
recall correctly.

* ~/.kde/share/apps/kpilot/DBBackup for KPilot

* ~.gpilot for GPilot on GNOME environments

* I am not sure about JPilot but it's a variation of the above.

> If what you want to do is copy the data, I guess I would just copy that
> entire folder's contents to your CD.  I'm not sure if all the files in
> that directory are critical.

The bulk, volume-wise, are programs. They often exist in two places because
of /backup.

> But y'know, the Palm Desktop has an Export function by which you can
> accomplish the same thing...in the Palm Desktop, select File > Export,
> tell it what directory to save to, and you should be in business.  Then
> you can save that export file to whatever media you want.

I fully concur.

__/ [ Harold Fuchs ] on Wednesday 17 May 2006 08:15 \__

> "Steve Kranz" <"smkranz[at]adelphia.net"> wrote in message
> <snip>
>> My safety valve is a SD card to which I run Backup Buddy.  The advantage
>> to this backup tool is that if (...err...not IF, but WHEN...) my Palm T5
>> experiences a glitch which causes a loss of data on the road and lose data
>> where I don't have access to my PC, I can do a full restore right on the
>> spot from the SD card which is with the Palm in the case.
>>
> <snip>
>
> Not a good idea to keep the SD card in the case with the Palm; they both
> get lost/stolen together and then you have no Palm *and* no way to get your
> data onto a new one. Leave the SD card, or a copy, at home.

For that particular reason, I have 2 SD cards which I occasionally swap. One
stays at home (inside the keyboard's bag) while the other gets dumped some
backups by RFSBackup (GPL'd). This is especially important if you travel and
cannot easily dump compies of your data to a desktop/laptop.

Best wishes,