Re: Photoshop V. Gimp

  • Subject: Re: Photoshop V. Gimp
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 21:01:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gimp
__/ [ stuseven@xxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 15 May 2006 21:36 \__

> + traitor :-)

        +1 (Insightful)

> Michael Soibelman wrote:
>> First, I am an avid Gimp user and a Gnu/Linux evangelist/advocate.  This
>> is
>> NOT a troll message or anything like that.  I recently installed the PSPI
>> plugin for Gimp in Linux and downloaded the Flaming Pear plugins.  Yes,
>> they take a little while to load though the majority of that time is taken
>> two
>> or three work 'fairly' well.  As I stated previously, I prefer Gimp for
>> numerous reason, not the least of which is the Free as in Freedom part.
>>
>> I just would like to commend the folks at winehq for there excellent work.
>> I recently got a scanner working for the first time since the 2.6.x kernel
>> series came out, at which time my UMAX scanner stopped functioning.  I
>> believe a recent kernel change finally proved to be the fix needed to get
>> that old scanner functioning.  (Lets hear it for the good folks working on
>> the kernel too !)...While looking through a box of old CD's I have I
>> noticed a CD of Photoshop 5.0 that I received with my scanner.  I
>> installed
>> it using WINE and found that it runs 'flawlessly'.  So I just thought I'd
>> mention that the old argument we've heard here about Photoshop v. Gimp is
>> now, seemingly, moot !!  If you love your Photoshop package you can now
>> run
>> it in your favorite Linux distribution under WINE without problems.  I
>> don't even notice any delays in responsiveness.  I do think that Photoshop
>> has some nice plugins, however, I think Gimp is a better program. Maybe
>> that's for the reason I already stated (Freedom) but perhaps it's also
>> because I've grown so accustomed to using it.
>>
>> In conclusion, I just would like to thanks the people working on WINE and
>> the Linux kernel as well as everyone else working to further the cause of
>> Gnu/Linux and Free/OpenSource software in general.  My, how far we've come
>> in just a few short years.  World domination may take a little longer but
>> we've made leaps and bounds already.

True, but how exactly will this encourage Adobe to port? Thanks Wine for the
wonderful team, but what cannot run natively will leave holes and
dependencies. You depend on the vendor for the ability to run the code. I
make a moot point, I agree.

>> I would not buy Photoshop but since it came with my scanner I will use it
>> if I see a need to use any of the plugins for an effect which 'may' not be
>> available in Gimp yet.  Also, I tried to use the plugins that came with it
>> using the PSPI plug-in but found out that they will not work.  I've
>> contacted the author of the PSPI plug-in (Tor Lillquist) and he stated
>> that the API's for Photoshop are proprietary and that indeed those plugins
>> wont
>> run with the PSPI plugin.  That just furthers my reasoning behind my
>> dislike of proprietary software !!  At least the folks at Flaming Pear
>> make plugins that work with PSPI in Gimp.
>>
>> Just my thoughts for today.   :-)

I hope you're happy... *smile*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired
  8:55pm  up 19 days  3:52,  8 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.15, 0.18