Re: an RFC for MS protocols

__/ [ Daeron ] on Tuesday 16 May 2006 16:00 \__

> Why don't Microsoft release an RFC for its protocols.
> That would appease the EU and then they would be really open.

No, Microsoft should *not* just release RFC's. An RFC should be agreed upon
by an open panel, which often involves industry leaders (albeit it is not
ideal either). Given stories such as:

,----[ Quote ]
| The engineers bring computers and the software programs they are workingon
| and literally plug them together to see how their programs interoperate.
| "We work around the clock for a week. We torture our machines in the
| pursuit of interoperability," he told a rapt courtroom.
|
| "Can you do this test with Microsoft?" Judge Cooke asked.
|
| "Yes, but they don?t turn up," Tridgell said.
`----

                http://www.itworld.com/Man/2699/060428samba/

The abuse seems evident. Microsoft is unwilling to contribute. It is very
self-centred and rather snobbish when it suits its strategies.

> "Request for Comments (RFC) documents are a series of memoranda
> encompassing new research, innovations, and methodologies applicable to
> Internet technologies."
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Request_for_Comments

Have a look at:

http:// support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262986
     ( ^ collapse whitespace)

I can't see any hyperlinks, so somehow I strongly doubt the genuineness of
this.

best wishes,

Programmer: a device to convert coffee beans into code (Paul Erdos slant)
  3:55pm  up 18 days 22:52,  8 users,  load average: 0.40, 0.52, 0.53