Re: Certain prognostications

  • Subject: Re: Certain prognostications
  • From: Sinister Midget <sinister@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 06:06:21 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On 2006-05-15, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> __/ [ Roy Culley ] on Monday 15 May 2006 19:59 \__
>
>> begin  risky.vbs
>> <804j3nuod5ka$.dlg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> It's not a tipping point, it's low hanging fruit.
>>>
>>> Basically, all the people that care have switched.  it's an uphill
>>> battle from thereafter to convince people to care.
>>
>> Ever the FUD'ster Erik. Linux adoption in the server market is growing
>> at an enormous rate. Desktop adoption is growing. As Roy said there will
>> be a tipping point. INMHO Vista will be that tipping ppoint. Too little
>> too late requiring the purchase of new HW. ODF will become a requirement
>> of many governments and businesses. Office lockin will then become a
>> thing of the past.
>>
>> The future looks great for F/OSS. Ye just canny beat the price.
>
> I used to think that E. was perceptive. His remark above demonstrates his
> inability to comprehend a reality. Thank goodness he is not a strategist.

It's very much like the head of the Patent Office in the early 20th
century who wanted to shut it down because almost everything patentable
had already been processed.

Of course, we could use someone with a little more attention to reality
now, but there are /still/ real patentable items created sometimes.

--
Now there's a man with an open mind - you can feel the breeze
from here.