Re: Open Source Takes Over the Database Market

__/ [ JEDIDIAH ] on Thursday 25 May 2006 14:29 \__

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/tech/software/10287856.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&amp;cm_cat=FREE&amp;cm_ite=NA

>>> Gee wiz. 100 mil of the 13.8 billion database market is way less than 1
>>> percent. Is this some sort of joke or something. Now wait, you and your
>>> headline is a joke.
>>>

>> That's just the tangible figures.  You forget:  Open source software
>> revenue is not going to be as high as one might expect, and there is no
>> real
>
> There is very likely a 5:1 or 40:1 difference between what something
> like MS, IBM or Oracle would see as revenue for one licensed seat and what
> mysql/postgres would.

While we focus on this factor which is cost, I would like to allude to
performance as well. According to this benchmark, MySQL is better than
Oracle, IBM, and Microsoft databases.

http://www.builderau.com.au/architect/database/soa/Road_test_Four_databases_tested/0,39024547,39224962,00.htm

Worth a quick glance. It's not surprising that Oracle wanted to buy (i.e.
eliminate) MySQL and Sony ditched Oracle in favour of MySQL.

http://news.com.com/Oracle+tried+to+buy+open-source+MySQL/2100-7344_3-6040197.html?tag=nefd.lede

http://www.computerpartner.nl/article.php?news=int&id=2804

In fact, Oracle released an Open Source database yesterday: BerkeleyDB, I
think it was called.

> Mrs. Puff needs deflated. MySQL is the needle.
>
> [deletia]

Mrs. Deletia need some puff. *smirk*

Best wishes,

Toy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
  4:20pm  up 27 days 22:52,  9 users,  load average: 1.10, 0.58, 0.40