Re: [News] Dan Greer on Software Monoculture

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Dan Greer's Monoculture Bomb Goes Off
>
> ,----[ Quoye ]
>| Andy Updegrove writes "Three years ago, celebrated security expert Dan
>| Geer lost his job at @stake when he co-authored a paper on the dangers
>| that the Microsoft 'monoculture' represented for end-users.

Perhaps he should've authored a paper on the dangers of writing articles
criticising the monopolist for journalists with respect to job security.
Being right is the most dangerous thing, I would imagine.  Bit like
Copernicus... power most certainly does corrupt.

> Last fall,
>| he authored a similar warning in a Perspective piece he wrote for
>| CNETNews.com, applauding the action of Massachusetts in adopting
>| OpenDocument Format, thereby reducing its vulnerability to the same type
>| of risk. Four days ago, Dan's prediction came true, when users of Word
>| (but not those that only trade files created in StarOffice, OpenOffice, or
>| other ODF compliant software) began to be infected with the Backdoor.Ginwui
>| virus - a malicious Trojan program that hitches a ride on bogus Word
>| documents. In short, an object lesson that in IT, as in biology, those
>| that exist in diverse gene pools are at a lower risk, both individually
>| and collectively, from those that subsist in a proprietary monoculture."
> `----
>
>         http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/05/24/0238224&from=rss

Monoculture is highly dangerous from a security perspective...

"There is nothing new under the sun, but there are lots of old things
 we don't know yet."
 -Ambrose Bierce