Re: [OT] Office 2007 Public Beta available

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Office 2007 Public Beta available
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 23:30:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Jim ] on Tuesday 23 May 2006 20:41 \__

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>> Not trying to spam the group, but several people i've had discussions in
>> the group with about Office 2007 commented they might try it when the
>> public beta was available, and it now is:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview
>>
>> Even if you hate Microsoft, know they enemy ;)
>
> meh, think I'll skip that one. I'll come across it during my travels no
> doubt, but for me? I'll stick with openoffice.

Speaking of Open, check out the following:

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft also introduces in Office 2007 a new XML-based file format--
| Open XML--for Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Instead of seeing files with the
| extensions.doc, .xls and .ppt, respectively, users will see .docx, .pptx
| and .xlsx. This could be confusing and disruptive if a document in the
| new format is sent to a user with an older version of Office.
`----

        http://www.eweek.com/article2/0%2C1895%2C1966148%2C00.asp

Doesn't  the  term  "Open XML" disturb you as well? It's  the  same  shite
(formats),  only wrapped in a tree structure. It's no RDF. The use of  the
term  XL  is  often used in the context of openness  and  data  exchanges.
Microsoft  try  to capitalise on buzzwords (ruining them in  the  process)
rather than concentrate on substance and fairness.

This transition forces users to upgrade yet again. Ian made a nice comment
about the intent or the essence of this XML 'format', which is by no means
a  standard,  and  judging by professional's word, will never  become  one
either. It is bound to a single existing implementation.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
 11:20pm  up 26 days  5:59,  11 users,  load average: 0.86, 1.07, 1.01