Re: [News] Are 73% of all Britons Using GNU/Linux?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ...Apparently not, due to OEM's that pre-install Windows.
>
> Call to target UK software piracy
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Software piracy in some countries such as Vietnam top 90%
> | More than a quarter of the computer software used in the UK is
> | pirated, according to a report.
> |
> | The survey by an anti-piracy lobby group shows the percentage of
> | illegal software in use in the UK has stayed at 27% for the lasttwo
> | years.
> `----
>
>                 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5005848.stm
>
> Get a load of this:
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Top three software pirates:
> |
> | Vietnam: 90%
> | Zimbabwe: 90%
> | Indonesia: 87%
> `----

<quote>
Piracy figures are calculated by working out how much PC software was
installed in 2005 and subtracting from that the amount paid for software
during the year.
</quote>

How would you know what was installed if it was pirated. If it's a buisness
and it is known to have pirated, then F.A.S.T would soon be paying them a
visit. This seems very dodgy.

<quote>
 There was increasing evidence, said Ms Carroll, that organised crime groups
were behind many sophisticated counterfeiting efforts and profiting from
the continued use of illegal software.
</quote>

I doubt it, I think they are way too busy pirating Hollywood films.

<snip>

--
Regards,

http://za1012001.googlepages.com/home