Re: [News?] Microsoft By The Hour

  • Subject: Re: [News?] Microsoft By The Hour
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 19:47:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Ian Hilliard ] on Monday 22 May 2006 19:39 \__

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:00:06 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>
>>> http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1988754
>>
>> Personally, I don't think anyone will buy into this.  It just doesn't make
>> sense.  People hate that cell phones work this way, but they have no other
>> choice since cell phones have always worked in this way.  OS's have
>> various choices, including staying with a version of Windows that doesn't
>> do this, or using a non-MS OS.
>
> For once I have to agree with you. People will not go for this if they can
> get alternatives. The question is how Microsoft intends to remove the
> alternatives, if that is at all possible.
>
> Ian

The miserable act of a very baffled company. Very relevant to this discussion
is an interview from earlier today (there was also a video interview with
Gates; about the future, or lack thereof, of Microsoft):

Counting the cost of counterfeiting

,----[ Quote ]
| Do you think that some of the issue is that your licensing model is just
| a bit outdated? Google has got people used to the idea that they can get
| stuff free in turn for reading advertising--is that a model that Microsoft
| is considering?
|
| Alexander (head of Microsoft's antipiracy program): We are definitely
| looking at it. We are always trying to stay three or four years ahead of
| the market. It is certainly something that is discussed.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7348_3-6074831.html?part=rss&tag=6074831&subj=news

Also:

,----[ Quote ]

`----

                http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31871

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Tux: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
  7:40pm  up 25 days  2:19,  11 users,  load average: 1.06, 0.69, 0.82