Re: Search Engine Crawls

  • Subject: Re: Search Engine Crawls
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 18:35:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Paul B ] on Monday 22 May 2006 18:14 \__

> On 22 May 2006 10:08:41 -0700, "pondlife007" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've recently placed all my sites on Google SiteMaps but I've not
>>uploaded site maps for each of them yet. One thing  I've noticed is
>>that none of my sites have been crawled since - is this normal? Are we
>>saving Google the hassle of crawling by adding them to SiteMaps?

Saving the hassle to Google? Most definitely.

Improving your ranks? Most arguablely.
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ According to those in this newsgroups
                      who use it... one person whom I can think of reported
                      faster indexing of pages in a very large
                      hierarchically-built site.

>>This site - http://www.turningstones.co.uk/ -has been completely
>>overhauled and I'm dying to find out how much better it ranks now there
>>is more textual context  - the customer though was adamant that the
>>index file not be too cluttered - is this an issue? Will it get marked
>>down for this? Also will pdf's give a higher ranking than Word
>>documents?

Probably. These are more accessible to more people. And yet, people prefer
HTML. The Web needs it and it discourages the use of heavy, proprietary
data, which are hard to crawl and contain little and no semantics, let alone
links and clear structure. As for clutter in the front page, it depends what
type of clutter. Make it light enough for 'modem surfers' and include good
content rather than something that seems machine-generated. KISS (Keep it
Simple, Stupid). *smile*

>>Many thanks,
>>
>>pondlife.
>>
>>www.AddAnImage.com
>
> Hi
> I suggest that you read the posts in here for the last 5 days or so.
> In a nutshell, google has many bugs that they are trying to fix.
>
> Now, if we all move over one place, you can have a seat in the same
> boat as us.

I'm still tugging onto that rope, being hit by the waves... if nothing
happens soon, we might as well cease to anticipate a reversal. It's becoming
somewhat of a mess.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows: slippery when dry. You have been warned.
  6:25pm  up 25 days  1:04,  11 users,  load average: 0.94, 0.79, 0.78