Re: Automatic Messenger style messages over LAN?

__/ [ Bert ] on Monday 22 May 2006 00:10 \__

> I'm looking for some software that will let me send messenger style 'Net
> Send' messages over my local LAN o several computers.  Ideally I am looking
> for something that can be set up to send the same message at a set time
> period (say every 30 minutes all the time).  Can anyone help with this one?
> or help me to set up XP to do ths job.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.
> Regards

How about one of the many instant messaging application that are available
for Linux? For cyclic tasks you could set up some cron jobs. To exchange
personal messages (correspondence), I personally use a Wiki. Alternatively,
you could send E-mails messages from one machine to another using a one-line
command. This can be easily set to become a cron job.

To borrow an example:

    * 59 23 * * * /users/geoff/bin/mail-summary

    * 30 16 * * 1-5 echo "Time to go home" | mailx -s "Get a life!" joebob

    * 23 22 9,24 * * /usr/local/bin/print-paychecks

        Source: http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/~cs302/notes/cron.html

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  7:20am  up 24 days 13:59,  11 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.58, 0.52