Re: [News] A 'Linux City' Finds Big Savings

  • Subject: Re: [News] A 'Linux City' Finds Big Savings
  • From: thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 02:37:21 +0000 (UTC)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Sender: tdphette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> City finds big savings in Linux
>
> People thought running systems entirely on Linux was weird but no longer
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Kenosha, a city of about 100,000, was on the bleeding edge when it
> | began deploying Linux a decade ago. The city had been a Unix shop,
> | but as IT demands became more dynamic and more dependent on the
> | Internet, Schall decided that instead of buying more Unix boxes,
> | it was time to look at an inexpensive alternative.
> `----

This is actually right in my backyard (a short drive from Milwaukee).
I haven't done any consulting work in Kenosha, but I've actually
talked to a few people who have worked down there.  It is not just
the city government, businesses were early on the bandwagon.  Linux
point of sale terminals were adopted ahead of the curve by some of
the larger retailers (Lands End comes to mind).

Later,

Thad