Re: Has Google lost it?

  • Subject: Re: Has Google lost it?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 11:02:13 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [ hug ] on Saturday 20 May 2006 12:46 \__

> www@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Matt Probert) wrote:
>
>>Real scenario.
>>
>>I was looking for a bulk toy or wholesale outlet in the UK so as to
>>buy some small toys in bulk for our local school fete tombola stall.
>>
>>Several searches of Google.co.uk returned nothing but worthless,
>>deceiptful directories of supposed web sites (you all know the type),
>>many of which were not in the UK. While I appreciate these sites are
>>deceiving Google, I still question Google's value as a search engine
>>in returning results for them.
>>
>>Matt
>
> Google used to be the best and fastest way to find anything.  Now it's
> an advertisement distributor, not a search engine.  Keep your
> eyes'n'ears open kids, there will be a replacement for google one of
> these days just as google replaced altavista years ago.

If you are judging by the past couple of month, bear in mind that they had a
serious hiccup, which they are still working to resolve and reverse:

http://sitemaps.blogspot.com/2006/05/issues-with-site-operator-query.html

Some banned site returned to existence, or so I hear. Many other issues
accompany that Big Daddy(datacentre name)-attributed flaws. Some say that
there are also storage problems at Google and that crawling may soon be
limited as a consequence.

http://www.platinax.co.uk/news/18-05-2006/google-your-website-isnt-important-enough/

More information in news:alt.internet.search-engines

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
 10:55am  up 23 days 17:34,  12 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.28, 0.46