Re: Linux Gets Boost in Indian Supply Chain

__/ [ Colin Day ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 15:35 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Be sure to have a look at:
>>
>> http://saselinux.com/
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | No, SASELinux is not a new distribution of Linux nor is it any other OS
>> | at all rather it is a way for users with limited or no bandwidth of
>> | their own to get Linux at very little cost to them. Currently to
>> | download Linux you really need a good high speed line and a day or so to
>> | download the three or four gigs. So we have set out to change that by
>> | mailing what ever distribution of Linux you want directly to you!
>> `----
>>

> A good high-speed line *and* a day? It only took me a few hours to
> download SUSE 10.1, though I did wait a few days.
>
> Anyway, even at 400 KBps, 3.2 gigabytes should only take 8000
> seconds (2 hours 13 minutes 20 seconds) to download, and I get
> higher speeds than that.

Yes, but we are fortunate to live in parts of the world where all of this is
possible.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/74585

 ( Published in many venues recently: Cost of 1 Gigabyte in Africa: $1,800)

I believe that among Ubuntu's mission statements there is this aspiration to
bring computers (e.g. Ubuntu Linux) to all human beings. At present, you
have this "one $100 laptop per child" initiative. You also see Microsoft's
attempt to extend languages (locale equivalent), Starter Edition
(crippleware), and "pay-per-use" computing. As for piracy, Africa tops the
list for levels of software piracy. I am not comparing south-east Asia to
Africa, but I debate using extremities to accentuate this point.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows O/S: who ownZ you tod4y?
  3:45pm  up 32 days 22:17,  8 users,  load average: 1.43, 0.80, 0.81