Re: Linux Highly Suitable for the Grandparents

__/ [ Chirag Shukla ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 15:09 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Ubuntu for your grandmother.
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | They say its for geeks, they say its for nerds, they say its for those
>> | whose pinkie finger has the imprint of the enter key tattooed on it. We
>> | say its for your grandmother ! Yes my friends, I kid you not, for all
>> | of those who are afraid to dip their little toe into the great
>> | Linux-Lake let us reassure you : If your grandmother can do it ? So can
>> | you. Before we start , let me clarify : We are not talking about turning
>> | your Linux machine into a clustered database server with SQL, PHP,
>> | Apache, Samba and what have you. We are talking about the advantages of
>> | using Linux .. as a desktop.
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://www.knightwise.com/content/view/154/9/
>
> My parents worked on Linux and they were equally happy with it as they
> were with Windows. I had to move them back to IE for some time because
> a font croaked Firefox on FC3. When they are with me again, I will have
> Ubuntu laptop ready for them to use. Sure they will have fun.

Ubuntu is more suitable to an average user than FC3, in my humble opinion. I
use FC3 remotely as it's installed in all the CS Department clusters. I
can't describe it as clickidy-clack as Ubuntu; by no means I ever could.
Even installations are like night and day...

Your parents are among the luckier one who have a son who knows and bothers.
Some have children who will be unwilling to invest the time (I probably let
my older sister handle the burden) and some just have no access to a world
that transcends FUD and Microsoft/Apple ads.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Previous signature has been conceded
  3:20pm  up 32 days 21:52,  8 users,  load average: 1.12, 1.11, 1.05