Re: Now THAT'S a trend that will warm any Linux guy's heart

__/ [ asj ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 05:31 \__

> Unlike the desktop, where I doubt Linux will make strong inroads in the
> USA or most markets, the emerging and very fast growing mobile market
> is one where Linux is making big strides, easily eclipsing Windows and
> second only to Symbian.
>
> http://www.palmsource.com/opensource/phonetrends.html
> http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS8804000399.html

Here's another one:

        http://schestowitz.com/IMG/blog/handheld_chart.jpg

        (from InfoWorld)

I strongly disagree with your assessment of Linux on the desktop. Linux is
already ahead of its competition. It just needs better publicity, which in
turn will have more applications ported, along with new users.

> Btw, you guys know Palm is seriously moving towards Linux?

It's very old news. They made this commitment over a year ago, as far as I
can tell... yes, now that I check again, it was March last year...

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/03/12/palm-headed-for-linux/

> A winning combo:
> OS - Linux; Application platform - Java ME

True. However, Palm, just like Nokia and some others, are keen on GTK. Here's
something juicy I found yesterday.

http://oss.kernelconcepts.de/maemo/calendar.shtml (it's GPL'd as well)

I have been waiting for PIM for a while. Still too buggy though.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  6:35am  up 32 days 13:07,  8 users,  load average: 0.47, 1.13, 1.07