Re: But Memorial Day doesn't seem to rate anything at all.

  • Subject: Re: But Memorial Day doesn't seem to rate anything at all.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 15:11:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Big Bill ] on Monday 29 May 2006 13:35 \__

> On 29 May 2006 05:23:33 -0700, eyasnyi@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>Monday, May 29, 2006
>>
>>Google [Jonah Goldberg]
>>It's kind of sad. They change their homepage logo for all sorts of
>>holidays and occasions. Just last week they paid tribute  to Arthur
>>Conan Doyle's birthday.  But Memorial Day doesn't seem to rate anything
>>at all.
>
> Must be, they forgot!

The reporter needs to give them a break, IMHO. Google is a tool. If it pays
tribute to figures, there are always some controversies (e.g. over deaths,
or holidays). They have already begun delivery of different banners on
particular dates, to different regions (depending on IP address), Google
don't forget (i.e. flush their log), based on Google Trends. Perhaps someone
erases the cookie (I know that humour is bad in this context). That said,
they clearly 'forgot' about a certain massacre in China. And it's worrying!
There's censorship in the West as well, as reported a week or so ago. It's
another case of Net neutrality (or lack thereof).