Re: [News] Microsoft Bashes Outlook 2007

On 2006-05-27, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> On Sat, 27 May 2006 17:09:27 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> I  suspect he uses Outlook 2000. His Webcasts suggest this. In any case, I
>> binned  him. He RSS feed has something buggy, which causes my feeds reader
>> to  crash (take 100% of the CPU capacity to be precise). This has happened
>> 3-4  times already and has been rather disastrous as it affected other JRE
>> applications (notably Firefox and Thunderbirds). Mind you, this RSS reader
>> (RSSOwl)  has  not  crashed  since I started using it  in  2004.  When  it
>> crashes,  items that I read in the sessions will remain marked as  unread,
>> which is a /huge/ pain.
>
> Oh, sure.  Blame him for your crappy software that can't accept a valid
> feed without crashing.
>
> http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fchris.pirillo.com%2Fwp-rss2.php
>
> "Warning This feed is valid, but may cause problems for some users."

Not what I get (from your link):

This feed does not validate.

    *

      line 16, column 1: Undefined channel element: br (6 occurrences) [help]

           ^
      line 17, column 0: Undefined channel element: b (9 occurrences) [help]

                <b>Warning</b>:   fopen(/var/www/sp/pirillo.com/chris.pirillo.com//wp-content ...
    *

That's followed by several more lines of similar errors, and that's
followed by the source. 779 lines of it.

> The users it causes problems with are people with broken software, since
> the feed is valid.

Your own link says it's broken. Therefore good software should fail on
it. If it doesn't(1) that that software would be bad and buggy.

You'll have to find something else to attack him on. So far in the last
12 hours(2) I've seen this failure, and your rant about the subject of a
post that appeared to me to be missing a word, not one that was
miscast.

(1) I'm guessing either your own software is buggy and broken
    (surprise) or you're just looking for some means to castigate Roy.
    I lean toward it being the latter based on your previous rants.

(2) I've skipped several of your posts in the same period, too. So you
    may have even more foaming at the mouth than I'm aware of.

--
My advice to you is to get married. If you find a good wife
you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher.