Re: [News] Cringely: Microsoft to Grab Linux Kernel

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Divide and Conquer: The Microsoft/Novell deal is more about disruption
> than cooperation.
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "The grandest manifestation of this strategy would be to decouple
> | Windows from its kernel and somehow pop the API and other bits right
> | over onto Linux, assuming that would somehow make the product
> | more competitive."
> `----
>
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20061110_001188.html
>
> Reminds me of wild advice/speculation that Microsft should pick and
> compine Linux/BSD with WinE and run its applications on a proper kernel.
> Could Mono be a bridge? Oracle and Microsoft and Oracle attempt to change
> the rules of a game that they are clearly set to lose.

Trouble is if they tried to do any harm to Linux, the harm
will be returned to them in double as developers ship their updates
in GPL3 or better licenses leaving the micoshaftees of this world high
and dry having to update their 'protected' software on their own.

Witness dumbo appil executives suing BSD developers
for their freely contributed software only
to find open source supporters vanishing from under their feet.

I think open source software and free software movement is all
about sharing. The moment that is put under attack by the lunatic
fringe operating within closed source companies, they will find
all their open source products have moved on to better licenses
that protects the licensors and creators of free and open source
software. Even more damaging to them in the services market is
for open source companies to come in and offer same or better
products at lower cost because they have better access to the really
free software.