Re: Anonymous COLA Reader Speaks Out and Breaks Myths

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 15:07:46 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Someone who reads COLA has asked me to post the following:
>

> One thing the FUD artists on COLA would like to have all believe that
> Windows XP is rock stable and Linux is always crashing.  I got a kick out of
> "Oliver Wong's" accusation that his Ubuntu system crashes constantly (and
> therefore he would like others to conclude that Linux is a failure.)

 Wong's an idiot. He's either FUDding, or he *deliberately* set his Ubuntu
machine up to crash (a la DFS), or some hardware is going south. Whatever
the case, he blithely blames linux. That's one of the first things that
made me think he was trolling or FUDding.
 I've been using Kubuntu 6.10 for a few weeks now, & it's very stable. :-)

 The ONLY time I've had a crash on linux, when *I* have done something,
such as miscompiling a kernel I want to test, or trying out alpha/beta
applications.

> Yesterday, I had several task crashes on Adobe Professional.  I was printing
> a large 362 page Adobe PDF into another PDF (essentially a save using the
> Adobe print driver) as 2 pages on one 8-1/2" x 11" page, so when I sent it
> to the laser printer, I would only have 91 sheets.  (It is a training manual
> that the training department sent me.  Sometimes they send manuals in PDF
> and let the user print them out instead of supplying in the classroom.)
>
> I have 384 MB RAM on my corporate desktop.  I had several spreadsheets open
> in Excel, a Word document, PowerPoint and Outlook open.
>
> Once I closed the other applications, it took about 20 minutes for the
> document to complete the conversion.
>
> Those who complain about the long load times (which are not really long) for
> Open Office, obviously are either trolling or do not use Microsoft Office,
> to include Excel.  Excel takes about 20 seconds to come up and load a
> spreadsheet.
>
> Excel crashing is a regular occurrence.  Yes, a recovery module pops up and
> retrieves the broken document and restarts Excel, which is an improvement
> over versions previous to Office XP.
>
> However, there are limits to virtual memory in XP if one does not have a
> full compliment of memory (like 1 GB).  I find it best to run only several
> applications at a time.  If I am running a heavy one like
> Adobe Professional 6.0, it is best I operate those without much other going
> on.  Otherwise, I run into task hangs until task at hand completes or task
> crash.
>
> When Erik speaks of how smooth his 500 MHz PC system with 256 MB memory runs
> in Vista with only 69% memory utilisation only humours me.  The real test of
> an operating system is when applications are loaded and operated as in a
> typical environment (or particular environment for special users).  Running
> an operating system without applications or server service is akin to
> keeping a car transmissioned in park and idling the engine.
> Perhaps he should sell used cars.

Huh? Well would *you* buy a used car from him? I *certainly* wouldn't!