[News] Microsoft Next Big Product: Software Patent Portfolio

Microsoft: "If You Can't Beat 'em....Charge 'em."

,----[ Quote ]
| I honestly believe Microsoft would love to point their IP guns
| directly at Linux and blow it out of the water, but that would
| appear too heavy handed, so they need to have one willing partner
| to set a price and precedence on that IP.
`----

http://www.linspire.com/linspire_letter.php

Microsoft patents granted on 07 November 2006

,----[ Quote ]
| 37 US patents granted on 07 November 2006 and assigned to Microsoft
`----

http://www.latestpatents.com/2006/11/07/microsoft-patents-granted-on-07-november-2006/

Gates: Vista survived rival challenges

,----[ Quote ]
| Intellectual property rights and education played a very important role
| in supporting innovation, and the United States has made more leaps
| forward in information technology and biology because of a strong
| patent regime that rewarded ideas, he said.
|
| [...]
|
| However, efforts to streamline patents have been more controversial,
| with the collapse of an EU plan to set new software patent rules last
| year over a split on whether Europe should follow the U.S. in allowing
| people to own the rights to business methods or computer programs - such
| as Amazon.com Inc.'s "one-click" shopping technique.
`----

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/15970997.htm

Software patent rulings become Patent Office benchmark

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK Patent Office will use the judgments in two recent Appeals
| Court patent cases as the benchmark for all future disputes over
| the patentability of software. The cases will replace all past
| case law as the basis for future decisions, it said.
`----

http://www.out-law.com/default.aspx?page=7457

It turns out that Linux adoption has a lot to do with law (and Microsoft's
attempts to change it), rather than just merits, interoperability,
stability, and PR.