Re: [OT] British Telecom Monopoly Eroded

begin  oe_protect.scr
> BT broadband hits key milestone
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Regulator Ofcom has forced BT to open up its exchanges to
>| rivals to give the UK a more competitive broadband market.
> `----

> Telecoms complain about the rise in bandwidth consumption, pointing at
> factors such as media and piracy (YouTube) as a principal culprit. Windows
> zombies spew out about 100 billion emails a day (with attachments). There's
> a start if they seek a traffic cut-down.
>
> PS - Sorry, Mark, but I know you'll disagree.

This issue has been around for ages - Ofcom ensures that prices are kept
high, not low, in many cases...

Ofcom works by forcing a margin between a notional "wholesale" and a
notional "retail" price.  This margin is then made available to someone
else to take.  This ought to result in lower prices, but in reality,
Ofcom will then prevent the "retail" price falling too rapidly.

It's all about trying to force competition into a natural monopoly.  You
can't do it, of course, but you can certainly create something which
looks a lot like it.

The better part of valor is discretion.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Henry IV"