Re: Practically zero iPods Converted to Linux

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
> [snips]
>
> On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 13:00:54 -0800, Larry Qualig wrote:
>
> > Thanks, but I know how to use a dictionary and I know the meaning of the
> > term "en masse."
>
> Then you will cease your fraudulent claim that the poster was lying,
> correct?  Good boy.

I'll cease calling him a liar the day he stops lieing. Not too
complicated for you, correct? Good boy.

> > If used this way "en masse" has no meaning.
>
> Incorrect.  You fail to grasp a simple distinction; the groups which were
> *there*, which were *invited*, which *participate*, did convert en masse.

>From the article:

<quote>
iRony was billed as an install party or an "iPod Liberation event" and
garnered mention in the local press in the week leading up to the
event. The event was organized by a broad group of people interested in
free culture, including members of MIT, Harvard, Northeastern, and
Emerson universities.

The event was open the public, advertised primarily online, but also
mentioned in the local press, who were eager to report on any
opposition to the ubiquitous Apple devices.
</quote>

So who exactly are these *invited* people that you're talking about???
Clue - "The event was open to the public."

So back to my example... people are buying Lexmark printers en masse.
Because of the people who received flyers inviting them to shop at
BestBuy, and who were there and actually bought a Lexmark printer did
so en masse.

And guess what else... people are flocking to Microsoft's "Get the
Facts" seminars en masse. The people who received invitations, who were
*there*,  which *participated*, did flock to the seminar en masse.

People are also buying "Hamburger Helper" en masse. Those who received
invitation flyers in the mail, and were there at the store, and who
bought Hamburger Helper were buying it en masse.

So using your definition of en masse, just about everything that
happens in the world happens en masse. People are posting to COLA en
masse. Everyone who finds COLA, subscribes to the newsgroup, and posts
here is posting en masse!!!!

> The remaining 6 billion people in the world didn't, but they aren't
> involved.  Nor even are the rest of iPod users.  They are simply
> irrelevant to the action and the commentary; the only group relating to
> the event are those involved.  You know, the ones who did, en masse,
> convert.

Exactly. The remaining 6 billion people in the world who didn't buy a
Lexmark printer or Hamburger Helper aren't involved. Nor are the rest
of shoppers. They are simply irrelevant to the action and my
commentary; the only group related to the event are those involved. You
know, the ones who did, en masse, buy Lexmark printers and Hamburger
Helper.

(Your words except we're now discussing the en masse buying of
Hamburger Helper instead of iPod conversions. So using your logic and
terminology people are buying Hamburger Helper en masse.)

> I know this is hard stuff, Larry, but if you try really, *really* hard,
> even you can get it.

It's not hard at all Kelsey but it boogles the mind why you don't get
it.