Re: [News] Ubuntu Linux Runs on a 75MHz Pentium

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 11:53:17 +0000

> A new low: Ubuntu 6.06.1 + 75Mhz Pentium + 64Mb + 1.5Gb + Openbox
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | This machine dates back to 1995, and arrived at my doorstep replete
> | with ISA network and sound cards and onboard S3 graphics.
> `----
>
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=294292

but there's nothing spectacular about ubuntu that would mean it /cant/
run on anything better than 386... its not like drivers for netcards go
missing after a while.

ubuntu is a very kitchen sink distro. the kernel as as many modules as
possible, really.

i would be surprised if the end user can handle the wait for openoffice
or firefox to load. i sure hope they choose vi and lynx, seriously.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.usenix.org.uk
proud bash hacker