Re: Did Hovsepian see this?

On 7 Nov 2006 13:38:41 -0800
"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ed wrote:
> > On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 21:14:24 GMT
> > ed <ed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > they welcomed it just great with www.wehavethewayout.com, which
> > > ran Apache on OpenBSD.
> > >
> > > sadly that information has disappeared from
> > > http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.wehavethewayout.com,
> > > it was a while ago now. but amusing at the time.
> >
> > url:
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/04/04/antiunix_site_returns_on_mysql/
>
> From the FUD page:
>
> ""When we began Web hosting on Windows Server 2003, we expected a big
> disparity between performance on Windows and Linux..."
>
> Reality strikes:
>
> Open Source Fights Back
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Question: The OpenSourceParking.com announcement cites a Netcraft
> | report, which found that GoDaddy.com's migration from Linux to
> Windows
> | caused Apache to lose server share. Was this event the sole impetus
> | for OpenSourceParking.com?
> |
> | Perens: Not the first. It's part of a continuing behavior pattern by
> | Microsoft that I think it's fair to call "dirty fighting." GoDaddy
> was
> | using Apache (I assume on Linux) because it was a great technical
> | solution. They didn't switch to IIS on Windows Server 2003 for any
> | technical reason. The switch was accompanied by a press release by
> | GoDaddy, containing Microsoft promotional language. Now, I've
> changed | many servers from one thing to another, but I've never made
> a press | release about it. GoDaddy wouldn't be doing that unless
> Microsoft had | offered them something valuable in return. There has
> been talk in the | domain business that Microsoft has been offering
> the large domain | registries a wad of cash to switch their parked
> sites. There is no | other reason to do this than to influence the
> Netcraft figures. `----

having worked in the domain/hosting business for a while, i can say
there is little money in it. domain sniping/hosting and whatnot is the
only source of revenue.

getting a small sum of money for doing anything is a benefit. i can see
this happening with relative ease for anyone. sun might want to think
about it, it's more feasible from them, since its a HELL of a lot easier
to remotely look after a sun box than a IIS box. hell of a lot.

any automation with IIS is a pain in the ass, having to write a program
to just make a small change that compares to little more than a handful
perl commands increases the TCO.

amazing that a company like MS has to fight so hard to stay in the game,
given their endless money stash.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.gnunix.net
just another perl hacker