Re: Mozilla Firefox Gains ODF Support (Plugin)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> ODFReader - Firefox Extension for Reading OpenDocument Files
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The extension is still very early in development and needs more
> | effort to further its progress. However, it could go a long way
> | to help the spread of ODF. Currently it handles OpenDocument text
> | files, in the future it will handle the other types too. It is
> | released under the LGPL/GPL. This ODFReader Firefox extension makes
> | use of an XSL file.
> `----
>
> http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/11/05/odfreader-firefox-add-on-for-reading-opendocument-files/
> http://tinyurl.com/ynf3y5

It's ironic in a way.  HTML was originally suggested as a good protocol
because the EZ editor used in Project Athena used SGML for markup.
Unfortunately, full SGML was too complex and the developers of Lynx
came up with a simplified subset which we know as HTML.  The viola
browser added the ability to view pictures, and Cello was the port to
Windows.

Now we have come full circle, with FireFox now offering the capability
to browse XML files, which is very close to the original SGML files.

For the record, SGML was proposed by IBM, who was using GML for their
documentation.