Re: XBox 360 is a Trojan Horse for Lockins

Mark Kent wrote:
> begin  oe_protect.scr
> The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> ><newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >  wrote
> > on Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:23:17 +0000
> ><1300717.nfPCXpTzKJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> Microsoft's Xbox 360 Plan: VOD Trojan Horse
> >>
> >> ,----[ Quote ]
> >> `----
> >>
> >> http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061102/19741_id.html?.v=1
> >>
> >> I happen to have said that many months ago. It's part of the IPTV battle:
> >> standards versus proprietary technology and DRM.
> >
> > Nothing particularly wrong with that as long as customers are aware of
> > it and there exist alternatives, preferably open-source alternatives.
> >
> > I'm not sure, however, that customers are all that aware, or what the
> > alternatives are, except maybe something like TiVo, which doesn't
> > do gaming.
>
> Well, there is something wrong with it, though.  Lock-in is an economic
> exit barrier created using some kind of non-standard technology, such
> that it's impossible to replace or upgrade or change just a single
> component of a system, rather, it's necessary to replace the whole
> thing.

> Any software a Microsoft victim buys for his Xbox will not work
> on anything else, so the cost of changing to another system involves the
> cost of writing off that software.

Yes. This is soooo very different from Playstation software that only
works with, err, a Playstation. No wait, this is sooo very different
from Nintendo software that will run on either a Nintendo, or a
Nintendo or a Nintendo.

Exactly. It's that damn XBox that only runs XBox software. Not at all
like all of those other gaming consoles which only run software written
for their own console.

(Snip rest of clueless rambling)