Re: Novell Sells Linux Down The River To Microsoft. I'm moving to FreeBSD. Screw Linux.

  • Subject: Re: Novell Sells Linux Down The River To Microsoft. I'm moving to FreeBSD. Screw Linux.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 04:19:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ JEDIDIAH ] on Friday 03 November 2006 20:27 \__

> On 2006-11-03, R S Prigan <NO-SPAM-TO-rprigan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Unruh wrote:

>>> What are you talking about? Novell does not own Linux.  If Novell goes by
>>> the board, and SUSE dies there are still another 1000 distributions out
>>> there of Linux on whom this would have no impact.
>>
>> I must admit, one of my first thoughts was "move everything to Debian."
>>
>> Still, "Novell does not own Linux" ... and if they screw up, *Novell* will
>
> The problem this presents is that Novell might taint other
> projects. They might come into the sort of stuff that Jeremy Allison
> turned down getting access to.
>
> At this point, any Novell contributions have to be considered
> suspect. Will this chummy relationship that Novell has with Microsoft
> give it access to information that will make it MORE likely that some
> IP nuclear option may get used in the future against Linux?
>
> Do the rest of us have to be MORE worried about future suits
> from Microsoft now that Microsoft has created a sort of exclusion zone
> and one Linux distributor has given creedence to Microsoft's potential
> ownership interests within the Linux kernel and other projects?
>
>> die, and SUSE will be resurrected as NewSUSE!
>>
>> I'd feel better if Novell made some arrangements in their "will" though!

I am afraid to admit that you are quite right here. I read somewhere that
this will have Novell concede some projects (Hula maybe?). Moreover,
Microsoft could soon use Novell as its bi*ch. How? One thing (among many)
which Microsoft intends to do is get Novell to add Open XML (Microsoft's ODF
rival) to OpenOffice. The changes will then be made available for the main
OpenOffice branch. Why it is this so terrible? ODF is the bridge that links
all the Office suites. Microsoft wants to corrupt the accepted and
widely-adopted standard.

I have already told Andreas Jaeger and Ted Haeger how I feel about it. I have
yet to see if there's a response. That Technorat article reveals some of the
details that MS and Novell don't want us to know. It's all implied and soon
to be revealed in explicit form.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymity - established 2001, Google Groups
Swap:  1036184k total,   448276k used,   587908k free,   100940k cached