Re: Microsoft/Novell Partnership????

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft/Novell Partnership????
  • From: Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 23:52:05 +0100
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:Nz2kkB9FY4oAqvHj0xKUQehTjmo=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
flatfish+++ <flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 16:54:13 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 21:32:07 +0000, B Gruff wrote:
>>
>>> What do you guys make of this then:-
>>>
>>> http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116249026689311557-helTbrheLKgbaJ5iO5z40ZFCiOs_20061109.html?mod=blogs
>>

>> Just like I've said for years.
>> Get ready to pony up some green backs for Linux.
>>
>> It's ALL about money.
>>
>> The only surprise is that Microsoft beat IBM to it.
>>
>> (And for those diehards, yes Slackware etc will more than likely always be
>> around for free, but the GOOD distros are going to be purely commercial)....
>
> Let me calrify that statement.
> Slackware *is* a good distribution, and excellent one in fact.
>
> By *good* I mean, easy to use for Joe Noob, includes all commercial
> plugins etc so that everything plays all formats etc and up to date, well
> tested, professionally marketed and packaged and so forth.
>
> The point is, there will always be free Linux versions but Joe Average
> will not be interested in them any more than he is now which is not at all.
>
> With a big gun like MS or IBM behind a single distro, things may change
> but you are going to ultimately see the minor players in the 450+ distros
> go out to pasture as many of the developers see the almighty $$$.

Its as clear as Marks reflection in Roy's shiny cheeks.

Why cant the adovcates  see the writing on wall? They need to batten down
the hatches, get behind a good distro and advocate it in order to get
market share. Pointing Joe Noob to the Elephants graveyard known as
"Distro Hell" is plain nuts. The big boyz are in town : they will get
behind ONE distro and then steam roller the rest. "Choice" can be
evolutionary if you CHOOSE the wrong side to bat for.... you're out!