Re: [News] Windows CE Kernel Goes Shared Source?

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Microsoft to open up Windows CE kernel source?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Microsoft will make a surprise announcement at the Nov. 1 launch
>| of Windows CE 6.0, according to the Web's rumor-mill. In what
>| would be its most substantial nod to the open-source movement,
>| Microsoft is rumored to be opening up CE 6.0's entire kernel
>| as "shared source."
> `----
>
> http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS4547551075.html
>
> Betrayal of principles if this is true. Could the icon of binary blobs
> acknowledge the fact that there is value in making the source code
> available?
>
> Also see:
>
> Airscanner Vulnerability Summary: Windows Mobile Security Software Fails the
> Test
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Since developers are not in a hurry to keep their users information
>| secure... we feel compelled to publish - with exclusivity granted to us
>| by author till August 21, 2006 - an article, that reveals various
>| problems with Windows Mobile software from various software vendors!
>| This article is a "must read" for any serious user of Windows Mobile...
> `----
>
>                         http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5474.html
>
> Found to be "insecure and buggy".

"shared source" is worse than useless, in that once you've seen it, then
working on proper GPLed projects is going to be very risky indeed.
There's no GPLed aspect to MS's "shared source", it's merely a sop to
try to con stockbrokers and the technically inept into thinking MS are
doing something "open source".  They're not.

You can't evaluate a man by logic alone.
		-- McCoy, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3