Re: [News] Things to Know When Ditching Windows for Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Five things to know when you switch to Linux
>
> ,----[ Summary ]
> | #1: App-searching is a pleasure, or:
> | How to install and uninstall programs
> |
> | #2: Be wary when going root, or:
> | The command-line and the root user
> |
> | #3: Two (different) sides to a coin, or:
> | GNOME and KDE
> |
> | #4: You-may you-may-not, or:
> | File permissions
> |
> | #5: Five more quick tips, or:
> | Various additional details
> |
> |     * No defragmenting needed
> |
> |     * Anti-viruses made redundant

Though we still have to deal with virus's on MS platforms and in MS
documents and executables. Since MS are determined to keep the independant
anti-virus/security people out of Vista then it will fall to UNIX/Linux,
yet again, to carry the burdon of checking MS documents and probably
traffic too. Maybe to the point of making fairly regular use of a Live
linux to boot and check the MS platforms/partitions. Sounds a very labour
intensive system, but may be all that we are left with.

Alternatively perhaps the likes of Symantec could make their product an OS
then pre-boot the security systems prior to chain booting Vista. But of
cause MS have put paid to that by making the license invalid for such
systems. MS have made a damn good job of ensuring the next few years on
desktop PCs will be very hazardous and down right dangerous.

We still have the job of protecting our networks (at work or at home) even
if MS are not willing to help in any way, but instead make it as difficult
as possible to protect the systems.