Re: [News] Software Patent Issue May Soon be Resolved in Europe

begin  oe_protect.scr
> FFII face-to-face to solve patent problems
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| "The patent system, both globally and in Europe, is under serious
>| stress," FFII president Pieter Hintjens said. "The unrestricted
>| expansion of patentability into non-traditional areas together with
>| the rising flood of poorly granted 'soft' patents in biotech, pharma,
>| and software have throttled innovation. Something must change."
>|
>| He argued that the European EPLA proposal, to standardise litigation
>| procedures across Europe, will merely consolidate the system he sees
>| as broken.
>|
>| "So, we have launched the European Patent Conference, a gathering
>| of...economists, lawyers, and industry experts. We will look at the

Great - where are the scientists and engineers who actually understand
this stuff?  Economists will understand the impact of getting it wrong,
lawyers will understand the process, but not whether it's right or
wrong.  I'm not sure what "Industry experts" are?

>| patent system, we will build proposals for change, and we will work
>| to get those changes implemented."
>|
>| Long time anti-software patent campaigners, the FFII is planning a
>| series of meetings to debate the issues and discuss solutions.
> `----
>
> http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/11/16/patent_conference/

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
		-- Hunter S. Thompson